[Cob] cob on earthbag

Michael Blaha cob at organicart.com
Wed Feb 14 20:35:42 CST 2007

I have had some luck covering the bags with clay slip for temporary UV
protection.
The slip would help the cob adhere too.
Pats right about filling the indentations first.  Cob / plaster keys
right in to the space between earthbag lifts.
Cob evens it out and makes it appear to be a cob wall.
Then the finish plaster glides on.

I've tried chicken wire and cement/lime plaster over stem wall earthbags.
Concrete cracks. It works pretty well  - so far.

I have tried papercrete (PC) on some stem walls.
The bags close to the floor / ground got moldy ( Charmaine said it would).
I ended up removing most of it and used lime and earth plaster as a
replacement.

Papercrete protected the bags from elements though.  I would try this
again for outdoor walls.
Moss could be encouraged with some yogurt and moss bits spread on PC.
Making a green  / mossy earthbag wall.

Bags are neat because they don't require as much attention to the mix;
they are modular; and they pack real tight - becoming rammed earth strong.

Michael

http://ilovecob.com