[Cob] Fancy a Mexican Vacation Anyone ?

Jill Hogan jill.hogan at mat.org.za
Mon Feb 26 13:43:14 CST 2007

Hi Ron
Leichtlehm is straw rich clay, you probably know about it, where you make your cob the consistency of yoghurt and then add so much straw that you can pick it up. Each piece of straw must be coated with clay or earth with about 30 to 40% clay. It is incredible light but has wonderful insulation value. We make forms on the roof and ram it into the forms, when I get my picas will send you some.

I teach lime finishes at a government and Swedish school for teaching skills and we have found that the best mixture is 1 part hydrated lime, (just the powder we don't turn it into lime putty or anything like that) three parts sand and one part earth. We measure with the same bucket to get exact mixes. We then trowel it on in two layers. The first a scratch coat and the second the final. Both are very thin. It comes up beautifully, smooth as silk. If it cracks it is too much clay and if flaky too much sand in the earth mixture.

Love chatting and enjoy the info moved back and forward on this site thanks all
Regards Jill

Minimum energy for maximum production

www.mat.org.za
023 625 1533