[Cob] Re: Was Fancy a Mexican Vacation Now Earthen Floors

Barbara Roemer & Glenn Miller roemiller at infostations.net
Fri Mar 2 10:31:18 CST 2007

of her process for oiling floors.  I just wanted to add that there is
opinion in the US that it is not necessary to vary the proportions in layers
of turps and oil.  Bill & Athena Steen (maybe among others but it's their
work I know) out of Tucson, AZ, suggested that method perhaps ten years ago,
and wrote a little booklet that's flown round the world advocating that
method.  Now, they are issuing a revised version of the earthen floors book
and my understanding is that they just repeatedly apply the same mix with
consistent proportions rather than increasing the oil or the turps on
successive coats.  Less to keep track of, and on MANY floors, both at Canelo
(see their work at caneloproject.com) and in Mexico, they've found their
origiinal method not to work as well as the simplified one.  Watch their
site for their new book.  Their extensive experience since the first book is
responsible for their revised opinions.

Best Regards,

Barbara Roemer
Sierra Nevada Foothills