[Cob] cob code effort

claysandstraw kindra at claysandstraw.com
Tue May 1 09:54:45 CDT 2007

-----Original Message-----

   1. Re: Cob code effort (Ron Becker)

I fail to see why building codes are a problem. Cob is very very old
technique. We do not need any new research to demonstrate the earthen walls
are capable of supporting themselves and a roof.  And Ron, building
inspectors are not naturally close minded.  We all need to be careful about
pre-judging everyone, people will tend to live up to whatever expectations
we place on them.

In reguards to Tom's question about what interest building material supplies
have in cob:  "cob" is not simply a building technique its a gateway to a
paradigm shift.  Part of that shift is learning, looking and experimenting
with what is most avaliable at your site.  Why would I pay a "building
matieral supplier" to come harvest soil from under my feet?  Ideally there
is no role for such a person on a cob site.

Now the reality... where do you keep your muddy shovels in a high rise
condo?  And what happens if I have to spend two days and a tank and a half
of gas driving across the country side to get the perfect color of clay, the
right sand and a bale of straw for my plaster... wouldn't it have been less
impact to just get the bag of kaolin and pigment or American Clay?

The other thing is that for better or worse, advertising is a powerful force
in american culture - can we get building suppliers to recruit for our
cause?  Maybe a bag of ready mixed branded plaster is the first baby step
toward the journey of making a full paradigm shift.  Baby steps, despite
their imperfection, are a crucial part of any journey.

Kindra