[Cob] cob and The Code

Travis Miller wyrdbrew at gmail.com
Wed May 2 06:50:32 CDT 2007

It is pretty clear that in some places if you don't get a permit then
people with guns and bulldozers are going to come and flatten your
work.    It is great that some people are able to find places to
build where that is not the case and should continue to do so.  If
you choose to live in a place where this is not possible then maybe
building with cob is simply not a viable solution to your building
needs.

Does anyone really believe that the dominant culture is going to pay
contractors to build cob houses? Does anyone think that contractors
are willing to build cob buildings that are affordable to the masses?
Does anyone think that Weyerhauser is going to let cob supplant
plywood as a building material? Does anyone think that Home Depot's
lobbyists are going to be OK with loosing billions of dollars?

I don't.  It is not a matter of education or information or
lovingkindness.  It is about money and control.

Derrick Jensen asks his audiences if anyone in the room believes that
the dominant culture will voluntarily change to a state of
sustainable living. No one ever raises their hands.

Travis
wyrdbrew at gmail.com

It is axiomatic that we are in no way protected from the consequences
of our actions by remaining confused about the ecological meaning of
our humanness, ignorant of ecological processes, and unmindful of the
ecological aspects of history.

William R. Catton, Jr