[Cob] cob and The Code

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Thu May 3 01:07:32 CDT 2007

Paul & all,

Please do not missunderstand, I don't have a wish to regulate anybody.  The
fact is that we as the dominant culture in North America are already way
over regulated.  One facet of this regulation maddness is the building code,
and it ALREADY EXISTS and is not going to go away.  No amount of discontent
about the historic and current injustices in the current cultural maddness
we live is going to change that.  What will change it is to take control of
the current regulatory situaton and make it work for cob.

Try looking at it this way:  The building code is just a tool.  Any tool
only works as well as it is designed.  Since this particular tool (the
building code) is so poorly designed with respect to cob, it is up to we who
love cob and understand it's true worth to redesign the tool of the code.
To make it work properly with cob.   All the varied criticism of building
regulation and profit driven construction brought forth in this current
coblist discussion needs to be addressed and included in this redesign of
the code's (non)relationship to cob.  That's what this is all about!

Leave the past where it is, in the past, and work with what we can achieve
if we are willing to do so.  We can take control of the regulation or cob
and make it available to everyone in whatever form they desire, from most
sublime to the most horrible and everthing in between.  It's up to us ,the
cob community, to do this.  Nobody else will!
john f.