[Cob] Cob and The Code II

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Thu May 3 09:25:33 CDT 2007

Hi all,
	I'm not worried a bit about what the local government thinks about
cob. I've published two articles about my cob storage shed in the
local paper, and everyone knows what I'm doing and sort of where.
It's been some time and haven't heard from any "authority" because
there isn't an authority on natural building, unfortunately. They
simply don't know how to inspect anything other than a stick frame,
cinder block, poured concrete, or masonry. Cob isn't in the code book
and the director of planning and development says if it isn't there
they won't issue an certificate of occupancy. He didn't say cob
couldn't be built. Locals who read the articles are VERY interested,
and more than anything because it's different than the cookie cutter
houses they see popping up everywhere. As long as you're not building
next to the courthouse or city hall there's not going to be many
people see your cob building, whether it looks good or bad, so why
care what they think?

Damon Howell
North Georgia