[Cob] building codes

raduazo at cox.net raduazo at cox.net
Sun May 6 09:10:32 CDT 2007

       Someone talked to my last week about doing a plastering project in New Orleans. I have mixed cob with a rototiller and I have mixed earth floor material with a rototiller, but never plaster.
       This week I did a very small scale test on plaster which I think could be ramped up to large scale production. I started by putting a bundle of news papers in a soaking pit and after two days removed the papers and tore them into strips. (The soaked paper tears very easily.) I then put it in a mixing pit and turned it for a bit with fire clay ($12. per 50 pound bag from places that sell brick laying supplies.) The result is a light clay insulating material with a little clay and a hard plaster with more clay. The light material could be molded and dried into blocks to fill cavities for insulation and the hard material makes a fairly decent wall plaster for covering a lath.
         You can, of course, substitute screened clay for the fire clay. I usually dry clay, break it up with a tamper in my concrete slab and pour the powder through a screen.
             If anyone has a project where insulating blocks might come in handy it would be nice to see someone else experimenting with this and other new materials.
Ed