[Cob] building codes

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Sun May 6 12:17:19 CDT 2007

you can do the same with lime and shredded paper, as in the Chineses
recipe I refer to.

  soaking for a 2 WEEK period with just enough water, breaks down the
paper, and a quick rototilling mix may do a similar job.. you get a
cottage cheese type plaster that can be altered significantly with
sand.. gritty Mexican style wall plaster or less sand makes and old
work softer plaster.   try it too.

here is the recipe again.

Chinese recipe for Paper Lime plaster [interior use]A  By WEIGHT-1 part
  (lb.)  chopped/shredded paper-office paper – or newspaper insulation
to 10 parts (lb.)  soft lime putty (type N or S hydrated lime soaked in
water 48 hours) Mix  well in large bucket or bin with tight lid. Seal
lid. Let mellow 2-4 weeks, stir in 1/2-1 parts  sharp sand to make more
trowelable. Mix with paint stem/paddle blade to make creamy.. Spread on
wall by hand or trowel. Sculpt and  dry. feather edges thin at stop
points. Can be limewashed; embed tiles while soft.   Adding extra  sand
gives a stronger, more old  world  plaster/mortar look; for outdoor use
eliminate paper or coat with sealer, or waterglass. Note from
Charmaine: Successfully applied to  new and old DRYWALL, particle board
on my work studio & bathroom walls.
AND used outside in weather as an external plaster!!  still sticking
and staying in place, with a thin layer of waterglas applied  one time,
2 years ago.

Charamine