[Cob] Coblist Proposal: an Independent Cob Certification Program

paul dotpaul at paulleblanc.net
Thu May 10 20:28:10 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ocean Liff-Anderson" <ocean at woodfiredeatery.com>
To: <coblist at deatech.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:08 PM
Subject: [Cob] Coblist Proposal: an Independent Cob Certification Program

> I propose we create our
> own Independent Cob Certification Program!

This is certainly closer to the ideal of an educational and consultantcy
effort, as opposed to the punishment and control effort.

Certifying plans or designs could lead to liability though, so I would
simply build in a clear disclaimer and keep the focus where it should be:
On general advice that is not meant to be fail safe under all conditions, or
guaranteed to meet code specifications in some assphincter state or country.
In order to do that you'd have to provide sealed plans by certified
architects, I think.

Since you cannot possibly advise on how to satisfy codes from all various
places, you can certainly advise upon good practices, materials and methods,
and make that the only focus.  The owner should take responsibility for the
end result.

I'd have no problem paying a fee for such services.