[Cob] Fridgid climate and snow drifts

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 08:09:53 CDT 2007

   Cat here!

   Talk around to the old timers and look at how the old structures were
   placed on the land.  My house was situated on a step above the flood
   line and below the ridge top.  The ridge gets a great view but all the
   weather and wind.  The day living quarters were south south east.
   There was a hill side to the north and pines were planted to the south
   south west.

     On my property that protects the house from the wind and driving
   rains and snow that come up the run.  The pines keep that side of the
   house cool in the summer.  The house is 75-80 years old and was built
   by a boy of 16 for his wife on a section of his fathers farm he had
   been born and  grown up on.  He knew the turf as himself.

    However the stand of pines also kept it moist and the porches
   suffered for it.  In short the placement of your home is going to be
   very dependent on the geography and the way the wind blows in that
   specific spot.

   The only shortcoming to its situation for me was that it was built
   over a large swath of underground water.  This worked for the kitchen
   well but drew the breath out of the house.  This may not be an issue
   for most. Fire people beware water beneath!

    On my site I could watch the storms tumble up the run. The stand
   of pines would catch them before they hit the house.  They would swirl
   and twist and let go.  Nightingales and doves like to roost in them
   too for those of you who like romance!  Kinda cool!
   for the good of all C.