[Cob] finding stats

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun May 20 12:38:22 CDT 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007, claysandstraw wrote:

> Sara- your first clue: when looking for cob stats use the word "adobe".  My
> favorite structural engineer in Santa Fe considers them identical... he did
> admit that monolithic adobe could be stronger than assembled blocks.  I have

While this may be fine for getting you past the code, it will in many if
not most cases cause you to do things which are structurally unnecessary.
The problem comes down to the one phrase above: "could be stronger" until
this engineer sees data that says otherwise, he is going to treat it as
adobe.  The fact is that cob IS MUCH STRONGER, if you doubt this, take a
thoroughly dried adobe brick and a cob brick made with the same materials
plus high straw content and try breaking them.  I have done this at many
sites with a variety of mixes and different types of straw and grass.  I
have never seen a cob brick that wasn't significantly stronger and though
the variation has been large over the years (some I could break with my
hands, some required repeatedly striking over the edge of something solid
like a rock, concrete block or 55 gallon drum), the primary determining
factors in how strong the cob brick was have consistently been the
quantity, quality, and length of the straw used in the brick.  The clay in
the soil certainly made a difference too, but the straw made a much larger
one.  If you find that there is little difference between an adobe or cob
made out of your local soil, take a good hard look at the straw you are
using.

[snip]
> 1. structurally, bond beams are worth it

I would say yes, if needed, in many cases where adobe needs it, cob would
unquestionably not need it.

> 2. the distance that headers bear on walls beyond the window opening is
> quite crucial

Agreed, though that distance is in large part a function of the
compressive strength of the material, and again, cob's compressive
strength (as well as shear and tensile strength) is greater than adobe.

> 3. stem walls should rise above interior floors
[snip]

This needs to be kept in context, the only reason I know of for stem walls
to rise above the interior floors is to keep water away from the base of
the walls in the event of flooding due to a pipe breaking or some other
plumbing problem.  In a building that will never have plumbing, I know of
no reason to apply this rule.  There may be a good reason to do so, but I
have yet to hear it.

It is important to always try to learn where the general rules come from
and why they are used, otherwise, you will find yourself doing things that
make absolutely no sense, simply because you were taught to do things that
way and never learned why.  On a regular basis, I find myself doing things
that at some point I realize make no sense, it is important to question
things often, because if you don't really understand the rules, you can
waste alot of time and money, and more importantly, if you don't
understand, you may blindly follow the rules when they are insufficient
for what you are trying to do and the results could be disasterous.

I hope this doesn't come across as a rant, and if you can get your cob
building passed by using the adobe codes, great!  But keep in mind, you
may be using cement and steel that are not needed (depending on your
location) if you go this route.  Cob is not adobe, as a structural
material it is superior in every aspect, so building cob to adobe codes
means over building (which I don't object to, always err on the side of
safety), and probably using unnecessary steel and cement (which I do
object to).  You will also probably spend alot of extra money on materials
and construction costs using the adobe codes, but it is (at this point)
most likely more than made up for by the savings in money and headaches of
trying to get cob past the local officials.

FWIW.