[Cob] stem wall height

Will Kernan willkernan5 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 10:50:14 CDT 2007

I have a cob building with a stem wall of only 4 in. The stem wall is made of polypropylene sacks filled with gravel and covered in cement stucco. The building is only a year old but no problems.

Jon Kerr <jonskerr at visi.com> wrote:
On Jun 15, 2007, at 12:12 PM, Damon Howell wrote:

> Hello,
>       The going philosophy of the stem wall is it has to be knee high
> to keep the cob walls from getting soaked from splashing rain, right?

I believe the point is to keep the cob up off the ground so it
doesn't wick up ground moisture. I seem to recall reading in The Hand
Sculpted House that Ian et al recommend having eighteen inches of
space between the ground and the cob, but it might have been only a
foot. The splashing wasn't an issue IIRC.

Jon