[Cob] converting a log home

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 14:43:37 CDT 2007

Hi Jen,
In Austin TX insulation might not be as important as
other areas, depending on your life style and
temperature preferences. THe reason I say this is that
cob is often used for thermal storage (TS), rather
than insulation. TS  can have a temperature regulating
affect, if the TS flywheel counters input in the
following manor, the heat it absorbs during the day is
given off at night, warming the house at night, and
the heat it absorbs during the day cools the house
durring the day. THis assumes you want night heating,
day cooling and the TS mass is sized appropiately,
that the house will absorb heat heat in the day (it is
not shaded by trees [mountains, other houses] when you
want it to absorb heat). Having said that, if I
understand this concept correctly, often wall
thinkness is too small for this type of TS.
Wood is not as good of an insulator as one might
assume and people are now thinking of wall studs as
having thermal bridging liability. I do not wish to
discourage you regarding your project and ideas. A lot
of buildings use an earthen or concrete floor for TS,
as well as the ground around the house. If done this
way solar heat can be stored in summer and used in
winter! This system utilizes TS as well as insulation.
http://greenershelter.org/index.php?pg=2
Cheers,
Shody

http://tv.yahoo.com/