[Cob] code map

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Jul 11 01:06:09 CDT 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Jack Simmons wrote:

> That code map is great. But I'm easily confused by legal matters (which
> is of course the whole intent of the law.) So... I live in Ohio and
> according to the map there are no State building codes for single family
> dwellings, right? Does this mean that I could build whatever I want, or
> do local codes supersede the state code, or could I thumb my besotted
> nose at the locals claiming that the state code doesn't restrict single
> family buildings in Ohio. If the local codes take precedence over the
> state codes what good does knowing the state code do me?

Assuming the map is correct/up to date (always check these things locally
to be certain), what this would mean is that the state has not set any
state wide standards, so it is up to local jurisdictions.  What is good
about knowing this is that when states don't adopt any standards, large
areas of the state may not have any requirements.  It is fairly common in
states which have no state wide codes for small communities and rural
areas to have minimal or no code requirements.  The cities are more
likely to adopt codes, but it is by no means certain that they will.
Knowing this, the map gives you areas to investigate which are more likely
to be friendly to what you want to do.  Keep in mind that even if these
areas do adopt codes, they may be far more minimal and flexible than areas
which adopt state wide.  In some cases only a septic or septic and
electrical inspection may be required and you can still build pretty much
whatever you want.

The map may not tell you everything you want to know, but it greatly
narrows the list of areas to investigate.