[Cob] purpose of straw in cob

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Thu Jul 12 12:20:54 CDT 2007

What is the purpose of straw in a cob mix? Nobody seems to "really
know" what the role of straw is anyway. Is it there to hold the cob
together while the wall is still wet (like a free form), or to keep
the wall from crumbling incase it cracks later (like reenforcement),
or to allow air/water to move through the wall (because straw is
hollow)? The problem is that nobody knows the reason they used straw
because they didn't leave behind notes on how and why they built that
way, and it's been a while since they lived here. What do they do in
Africa? Do they use straw "in" the cob? Can any other plants be used
as tensile such as long grasses? I'm almost ready to start cobbing
but straw is just unavailable in GA right now, and what straw there
is has a very high price on it. I'm not willing to pay three times
the price for it if there's a substitution. I would love to just go
out in the field and get some tall grass if it would suffice. It's a
heck of a lot cheaper!

Chow,
Damon Howell
North Georgia, US