[Cob] self-building - ovens vs. dwellings - SEE ORIGINAL POSTS BELOW

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Jul 15 16:41:45 CDT 2007

Regarding my concerns about being instructed properly vs. just
"guessing" how to build...

Please note in my post (see entire thread copied below):  I didn't
say cob was an inferior building technique.  In fact, I believe if
properly built, cob is superior to most other building techniques.

However, the coblist is prone to off-the-cuff comments and heresay
speculation, grounded more in cyberspace than on the real, solid ground!

The recent post pondering "why cob contains straw" is just the icing
on the cake.

Many who post here clearly have had no training in cob building, and
I want to impress upon these folks - DON'T BUILD a structure which
will house humans or animals without being trained by someone who
knows how to design, site, and properly build with cob!  If done
improperly the risk of catastrophic failure is very real, and very
dangerous.

The coblist can be a useful tool for networking among cob builders,
and it can be interesting for those who are curious.  But it is not a
substitute for HANDS ON training.

If you want to build a cob home, please find a way to take a course
by Cob Cottage Company (Linda & Ianto, Oregon), Groundworks (Becky
Bee, Oregon), Emerald Earth (Michael Smith, California), Cobworks
(Mayne Island, BC), Kleiwerks (Asheville, NC), or any other person
who has significant experience building structures.

Ask to see your instructor's portfolio of completed structures, or
better yet, talk to people who have successfully built homes after
taking their courses.  And if you are short on money, almost every
organization listed above will take on work-trade volunteers.

Blessings,
Ocean Liff-Anderson
Cob builder, restaurateur
http://www.wildfirecorvallis.com