[Cob] want flood resistance? - build with concrete?

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Jul 22 10:51:05 CDT 2007

I've built some concrete-cob before.  It is a very different animal
from "regular" cob - might resist soaking better.  But the straw - if
it isn't weakened by the caustic nature of the portland - isn't going
to hold after the flood.  Asphalt emulsion might be better, and this
is what the Universal Building Code requires for "stabilized unfired
clay masonry".  The asphalt might better protect the straw from rotting.

But i think if you want a house which can endure being submerged and
eroded by flood water flow, the best thing is a poured, rebar-
reinforced concrete building.  Of course, anything inside your house
will be ruined, as well as any wooden elements used in roofing.  Then
after the waters recede, black mold sets in quickly, making the house
toxic.  Just look at the 1000's of houses in New Orleans, some only
submerged briefly.  They are completely uninhabitable due to thick,
black, toxic mold covering every surface...

Rule: don't build in a flood plain, unless you are ready for the
hundred-year flood, and want to demolish and rebuild after the
eventual destruction of your home.  You can buy federally subsidized
"flood insurance" for the inevitable, but it ain't cheap.  Though I
doubt the feds would ever insure a mud house against the flood!