[Cob] gravel bag foundation

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 21:26:12 CDT 2007

Micheal,
If I understand earth bag construction, the bags are
forms and intended to hold material in place until it
sets or drys. James seemed to imply this in his post.
After that, it is not structural, so I do not
understand how it could be used without other
stabilization. I too would like to hear from someone
who could explain this system of gravel bag
foundations.
Don't forget to post to the group, if you are
intending to.
Cheers,
Shody

Prior message sent to me:

Shody,

Exactly what I was thinking. From my inexperienced
background, it seems that the pressure from the cob or
earthbag walls above would cause the sides of the bag
to bulge and burst at some point, even with plaster
applied to the bags. However, this technique is shown
in Building With Earth and is included in Hand
Sculpted House and Build it With Bales as an
experimental/low-cost foundation technique. I was
hoping someone might have had some direct experience
with how well they hold up over time.

Michael

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/