[Cob] gravel bag foundation

Georgie Donais georgie at busygirl.ca
Wed Aug 8 21:46:32 CDT 2007

Shody,

The bags retain their structural function after the mix is dry in
that, if the place gets flooded, the bags hold the contents in place
so that the dirt does not get washed away. Other than that, the
rammed earth holds itself together nicely, like cob does (no straw
though). The mix is sand-heavy, so that these particles are locked
together by the clay, offering the same kind of compressive strength
we see in cob. In between courses goes a double strand of barb wire,
which acts as mortar and keeps courses from slipping off one another.

There is lots of info about earthbagging at
http://www.okokok.org/index.php . Nadir Khalili was, I believe, the
originator of the technique; his site is here: http://www.calearth.org/

I find earthbagging to be a very interesting foundation option. Easy,
fun, requires mostly the same materials as cob, children can be
involved in most aspects (except maybe using large tampers and laying
barb wire) and, although tons of material is moved, it's done in
little bits, which means small people can do it. It's easily as
labour intensive as foot-mixed cob, but seems to build a little faster.

Georgie