[Cob] More Foundation Thoughts

Peters Michael briathel139 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 12:24:03 CDT 2007

HI Everyone,

I found this reference on www.greenhomebuilding.com. It was a question and answer on gravel/rock filled bag foundations and seismic considerations, with the answerer being Michael G. Smith of Cob Cottage Co. fame. I was not so interested in the seismic considerations, but Michael Smith mentioned the following as part of his answer:

  "It may be that a cement-stabilized soil mix in the above-ground bags would be more earthquake resistant than rock-filled bags. However, the rock-filled bags have the advantage of not wicking water vertically through capillary action. I would recommend at least 1 course of rock-filled bags above grade, then you could switch to soil-cement."

  The implication being that soil-cement bags DO wick water through capillary action? Thoughts/experiences from anyone?

  Michael

Got a little couch potato?