[Cob] African Canvas-book>cob images in Africa

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Sun Aug 19 15:26:59 CDT 2007

Maybe you mean: Spectacular Vernacular?  Cover  has a cloaked native
man holding a  fat, jewel- hatted baby with three earth (breast shaped)
  temples in back of him.

there are several books with african/middle eastern clay and painted
earth buildings.

I acquired one that knocks my socks off with its beauty of hand painted
walls and each other!! .

"African Canvas" Margaret Courtney Clarke-  very hard to find and $$
has a black woman in a bright blue tribal dress and headwrap hand
painting a colorful wall on cover.  Michael Smith of Cob Cottage asked
me to find a lower cost copy of the book for him, and none existed..I
ended up buying  the pricey one I located just to create  a better
personal library, and for research.  I am glad I did.

SInce I am off-spring-free, when   I croak  someday, someone will
inherit a great library!

WHich brings me to the idea of creating a  single point where resources
can be held for all. Many original cob proponents  are aging, straw
balers too plus other inventors,  we are all aging, and having a
private but accessible "library" with all these great books and
information resources would be a good legacy to  make available to the
future builders.

I Imagine in this day and with technology, that scanning and saving a
perfect copy of each book can be done, this way the info can flow via
electrons to the requestor, rather than having to come and "visit" a
physical library.  fragile books, phampletts and  other print materials
an be saved

no Idea how to begin this proposition, open to ideas to be tossed about.

Charmaine