[Cob] Wheat Straw Question

fran fran2000a1 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 15:20:56 CDT 2007

Thanks to all for the suggestions about the wheat seeds,
and I'm going to use the wheat like it is.    Perhaps add a
little something to the water to change ph.  It sure will
be faster.  After reading all and thinking it over, the cob
is drying so fast and setting up so hard, that I'm not
going to worry about it!

I'll be posting some pictures as I make progress.  My first
batch of cob felt good under foot and when it went on the
wall, but cracked a bit while drying, too much clay and not
enough sand.  I added another shovel of sand and went ahead
and made some test cob bricks yesterday.  Sure enough the
one with too much clay began cracking badly.  The one with
extra sand is just like a brick today.   I thought maybe
southern dirt wouldn't perform, but it really surprised me
with the strength of that 2nd brick.  I am having to wet
the wall a couple of times a day to prevent drying too
fast, it's really hot here.

Someone asked me about the free gravel, in our area the
supervisors in my county maintain the rurals roads, the
gravel and clay gravel is free at the county barns if you
shovel it yourself, within reason, no large loaders etc.
Hard to do by yourself so I paid a fellow to help me for a
couple of hours,  saves money.

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/