[Cob] Wheat Straw Question

billc billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Wed Aug 29 00:00:41 CDT 2007

At 9:58 AM -0700 8/27/07, fran wrote:
>My question is - Will the wheat seeds become a problem in
>the walls if I leave them in the cob mix?  I don't want
>wheat sprouting next spring causing cracking in the walls.

There should be no need to remove or sterilize the seeds.

Their sprouting and growing will draw water from your cob, causing it
to dry more quickly.  It's unlikely that they'll grow enough in the
time it takes to dry out your wall to cause any cracking.  And you'll
have the fun of having a temporary chia-pet!

When building with leichtclem (straw-clay) it's not uncommon to ADD
seeds to your mix.  Besides drying, the root fibers supposedly
contribute to the matrix of fibers within the wall, making it
stronger.  Plus the dried sprouts can increase the bond between the
wall and whatever finish plastering you might happen to do.

Some years back when Pliny Fisk and the folks at the Center for
Maximum Potential Building Systems (cmbps.org) were first
experimenting with straw-clay, they built a test wall a short time
before a German (I think) expert was due to arrive.  They were
horrified when it started growing, so scraped all the sprouts off.
When the German guy got there and saw it, the first thing he asked
was "why isn't it sprouting like it should?"

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>