[Cob] suspicious embodied energy figures for lime

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 21:28:42 CDT 2007

   Cat here!

   Their is a tendency to look for reasons why not to do
   something...Global warming is now the new slogan to put fear into our
   hearts....

   It would seem to me and I'm not a math major or a chemist or an
   authority on anything at all....that if a home stands for 500 years
   and then melts into the ground when it is no longer being used it's a
   safe bet it's not going to mess with the magnetism of the
   planet...After all...clay is the planet.  Cement degrades, clay
   doesn't, The further from the planet the less stable.

   As things are processed further and further away from their natural
   state, that's when we run into difficulty...

   With food also...the further from the source the more processed the
   less valuable to the body possibly even toxic...That is the trade
   off...not BTU's

   If one would like to cut down BTU's less meat consumption....Oh I'm
   going to get it for this one!  Less meat consumption...less grain and
   pasture, more forests more water sheds, more moisture more atmosphere,
   ect, ect

   The use of brick is not so out of context for this site of committed
   cobbers...If the social, economic and political climate heat up and
   melt down, as it looks like it will

    their may be an abundance of used brick available... I carried away a
   whole 3 story brick building to my farm some years ago...nice!  the
   thing to look for is a building that has been erected with lime sand
   and water.  no cement...the cement can't be removed and tears the
   brick when you try with a masons chisel.  It can be done but it blows
   more brick than can be salvaged so maybe they would be good ground up
   in a clay mix.  Rough on the hands and feet...  maybe their is a
   chemist in the group who can field this one...Cement is corrosive to
   copper.  What would it's chemical make up be doing over years in a
   clay mix.

   I ask this because I visited an under ground house where the owners
   wanted to failsafe the roof with two layers of plastic .  the earth
   over the top pressed the two incompatible plastics together and they
   both melted.  They now have an underground house with a second floor.
   Always a happy ending.  Their son and his family hit on hard times
   when he lost his job, loosing his home and the grand children live
   upstairs from mamaw and papaw.

   It is my personal opinion that by keeping the elements of building as
   pure, simple and  close to natural as you can you avoid much grief
   later.
   for the good of all C.