[Cob] Seattle Area Cottage Update

Leslie Moyer Unschooler at atlasok.com
Mon Sep 24 14:55:26 CDT 2007

Wow!  Beautiful stuff!  I hope you'll continue to send photo updates.

 From reading I've done on cordwood (no actual experience), there is a
school of thought that now suggests a 3-year drying time on wood before
incorporating it into a structure.  Wood dries slowly--needing time for
the moisture inside to move out where it can be evaporated off.  This
means the wood continues to shrink until all of the moisture is gone.
One recent suggestion I saw was to use a saw to cut down to the center
of the tree, thereby allowing the inside to dry as quickly as the
outside and thus prevent "checking" (the v-shaped cracks that form).
Supposedly when the wood is completely dry, the crack will self-close.
Checking forms because the outside dries and shrinks before the inside
can dry and shrink, too.  Even those who say that the wood only needs to
dry 6-12 months will tell you that the wood WILL continue to dry for
quite some time after you've built the structure & tell you you will
need to caulk around each log once it is completely dry.  It makes more
sense to me to wait until it is dry in the first place.

Personally, I love the look of cordwood but ruled it out because
wood--throughout its lifetime--expands and contracts too easily,
allowing cracks to form where the wood meets the mortar (or whatever you
use to fill the cracks between logs).  Cracks = air infiltration.  If I
were using cordwood, I would plaster over either the inside or the
outside--or both.  But then it doesn't look like cordwood anymore.
Another possibility is to build two walls parallel to one another with
some sort of insulation in-between.

As for drying times of cordwood vs. cob, I don't really know the
answer--someone else surely will.  I know that wood will draw some of
the moisture out of cob when the two materials are placed together, but
it probably depends on how dry your wood was to start with.

After I looked at your photos, it looked like maybe air infiltration
wouldn't be an issue in this particular project anyway.  What will be
the function of the structure you're building?

--Leslie