[Cob] Rocket vs. Rumford for Patio Heating

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Oct 7 13:40:20 CDT 2007

Regarding heat from an outdoor thermal bench, we built one at the
restaurant heated hydronically with water pipes (PEX) running through
it.  It would get warm if the ambient temp wasn't too cold, but the
whole bench just seemed to lose most of its heat into the air, and
wasn't very warm at all in the cooler months.  I thought maybe adding
a foam cushion would insulate and help prevent the heat loss.  But
really, you don't get much heat from an outdoor Rocket bench unless
you're sitting right on it...Conductive heat, not radiant.

The Rumford burns very efficiently as well as the Rocket.  Rumfords
create a hot fire with little smoke and ash.  I don't think the flue
has to be too high - the one at the Heart House at Cob Cottage is
only 6-7 feet high.  Do you have the Hand Sculpted House?

Good luck,
Ocean