[Cob] Rocket vs. Rumford for Patio Heating

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Oct 7 12:44:32 CDT 2007

Been reading this thread and want to clarify an important point:

Outdoor heating requires "radiant" heat, especially since you are
cooled by any breeze which might blow through or around your patio.
This is why the free standing propane heaters work so well - they
provide 100% radiant heat.  On the other hand, "conductive" heat is
ideal for storing heat in thermal mass which is released gradually,
best for heating buildings or enclosed spaces.

Rocket stoves are good conductive heaters and but not very good for
outdoor/patio heating - ideal for storing heat in thermal mass
through the cob-encased flue bench in Ianto's design (which is absent
in the African cook-stove Rockets previously discussed in the
coblist).  Ianto's Rocket drum radiants heat primarily off the top,
not as much from the sides of drum.  So in an outdoor patio, you will
be standing around your rocket and warming your hands over the top
all the while shivering due to your chilly lower quarters.  The
Rocket's heated bench does help a little, but any breeze quickly
negates the effects of a warm butt.

On the other hand, the Rumford hearth is primarily a radiant heat
source, where heat is projected (for lack of a better word)
horizontally out to the people sitting or standing around it, warming
hands, legs, torsos or butts - depending on which side of you faces
the hearth.  At Ahimsa Sanctuary, we hired Ianto to build us a
Rumford in our cob kiva.  We had it fired up while plastering, and
the Rumford put out so much heat that it melted a 5-gallon bucket 6
feet away!

Here are pics of our Rumford being built and fired up.

http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford1.jpg
http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford2.jpg
http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford3.jpg
http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford4.jpg
http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford5.jpg
http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford6.jpg
http://www.peacemaking.org/cobpics/rumford7.jpg

Rumford hearths have very specific design requirements so that the
flue and draft work properly.   I don't know of any published cob
plans, but I did Google into a site out of Port Townsend, WA which
sells a masonry (brick & mortar) version:  http://www.rumford.com
This is pretty spendy, as most conventional masonry construction is,
and not really what we are looking for in the cob building movement.

So if you'd like to integrate a Rumford into a cob wall or building,
I would suggest contacting Cob Cottage Company for info.  Cob Cottage
has built several Rumfords into courtyard walls with adjacent cob
bench seating, the most prominent one on the cover of the Hand
Sculpted House.

Good luck!
Ocean Liff-Anderson
Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary
http://www.peacemaking.org
Proprietor, Intaba's Wildfire Restaurant
http://www.woodfiredeatery.com