[Cob] insulated north wall - cob +straw bales or what?

drub drub at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 22:34:02 CST 2007

Hi Robert,

A friend, in the area of Santa Cruz, CA, built his shop out of
load-bearing hay bales.  Dimensions are about 25' by 30'.  He used
stucco both inside and out.  He runs his cabinet shop in there and loves it.

So far, I'm a lurker, with respect to cob building.  Our transition
plans call for relocation this spring.  So, could be cobbing for real by
next summer or fall.

We're thinking of a hybrid solution, as you describe.  North walls in
hay bale, for better insulation.  Other walls, cob.

All the best,
David