[Cob] insulated north wall - cob +straw bales or what?

Jaanus Viese jaanus.viese at mail.ee
Thu Nov 15 14:31:30 CST 2007

   Hi!
   You can just connect 15cm (6 inch) cob wall and 40 cm (16 inch)
   strawbale wall. The strawbale wall is outside and strawbales are laid
   like brick wall. It means the mortar is cob-mix.. The cob mix is only
   on bale edges, and inside the joint about 5 cm (2 inch) from bale
   edge. It is important for preventing cold-bridge. Also use wood-sticks
   for more secure and for ensuring that strawbale layers (rows) are
   connected each order. Just hammer in 2 sticks for every bale.
   This hybrid-method wall is load-bearing and very strong. I have used
   it during the cob-workshop, because if you combine cob with bales then
   you get walls up quickly.
   I have heard that it works very well in cold climate like Canada and
   North Europe countries.
   Best
   Jaanus from Estonia
   www.juured.ee
   ---Everyday reklaam---
   KODUAKEN teeb Sulle pakkumise, millest on VĂ•IMATU keelduda -
   [1]www.koduaken.ee