[Cob] earthen floors

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 01:44:22 CST 2007

I am trying to remember, this topic has been discussed
here before. I don't remember and am not sure of any
of this, but perhaps the oil can be heated instead of
thinned chemically. Be very careful with hot oil as it
can burn badly and “spontaneously” combust at a
specific temperature.  If it is thinned chemically,
perhaps low cost vodka could be used. Be careful with
the linseed oil itself as it may contain toxins or
heavy metal. It is flax oil, so you may want to try to
get food grade flax oil instead or make it if you can
get access to an oil press. I do not know if the oil
will go rancid with out preservatives, but going
rancid might be the part of the process of hardening.
What is likely recommended is to do a test with a
couple of different options and see which one you like
better. Do you have the house surrounded with a drain
system so moisture or water will not come into the
house? Is the ground inside compacted or mostly
inorganic high sand or rock content earth so that it
is stable?
Perhaps someone with floor building experience will
respond too.
Cheers,
Rudiger