[Cob] Exterior insulation

raduazo at cox.net raduazo at cox.net
Mon Dec 24 15:30:21 CST 2007

Jesse,  Ianto is now using a system where he adds two strings to a two string bale, then chainsaws the bales apart to form two thin bales which he uses as a support surface for building cob. I have pictures, but I am no home so I can't send them.
            I am planning on trying a paper/clay system this summer or as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. I will start by soaking bundles of newspaper in a pit for a week or two and then rototilling them into pulp and adding a little clay with my cheap front tine tiller. I will then attempt to build up a 4 inch thick layer of paper/clay on an existing cob wall, possibly using dead-man strips imbedded in the paper/clay.
             The paper/clay will then be given a color finish of some sort perhaps lime putty or a colored paper/clay. I am very fond of a red clay from a friends farm in VA.
Ed