[Cob] cob buildings in the tropics

David Bowtell david at advemp.org.au
Sun Feb 10 20:39:34 CST 2008

Hi everyone,

I live in tropical North QLD in Australia.

I am wondering if any one has and ideas, suggestions , experience, or
opinions about building in the tropical climates and or designs etc that
would help with cooling rather than heating.

Would Cob work in this way or would the thermal mass actually retain the
heat?

The temps we get are ( in degrees Celsius ) summer – min 25       max 39
humidity 75% to 100% - very hot and muggy

                                                                 Winter –
min 12        max 30    humidity 20 to 30 %  -  very dry and very pleasant!

Summer is our ‘wet season’ as we get lots of tropical downfalls of rain …
well sheets of it in fact!!!  But in winter it is our dry season and it gets
incredibly dry.

I was thinking about a two story house with huge verandas and huge eves to
ensure a lot of shade.

I am also interested in being water wise so the possibility of a living roof
is not such a practical idea as we have huge water shortages..

Any other ideas would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Dave

Checked by AVG Free Edition.