[Cob] clay slip and cloth

Jon Kerr jonskerr at visi.com
Mon Feb 25 18:12:47 CST 2008

Hi all!

Finally something I'm somewhat knowledgeable on. The clothes should
work, provided the slip is very wet and all the fibers can get well
coated with the clay.  Nobody minds doing it with straw, and cotton
clothing is cellulose, which straw should be too. Wool might insulate
better, but you'd really have to make sure moths can't get at it.
Synthetic cloth like polyester is basically plastic. Cutting cloth
into strips will increase its surface area, making it absorb more of
the slip, and make it possible to pack in tighter.  For insulation
though, you want loft, not tight-packed material. Plus you don't want
to spend a lot of time cutting up clothes. So I'd say soak clothes
really well and use cotton or synthetics or blends thereof.

Good luck!

Jon

"The sooner we all learn to make a decision between disapproval and
censorship, the better off society will be... Censorship cannot get
at the real evil, and it is an evil in itself."
-- Granville Hicks (1901-1982)

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a
baby can't chew it."
-- Mark Twain