[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 48

Kristi Shapla kristishapla at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 22:06:53 CDT 2008

Wow, I never dreamed our little art guild bench and mini house would cause such a stir!
The factory starts with white clay (from Nevada) and sand, extracts minerals for toothpaste, etc, and is left with white clay and sand minus the minerals.  We got 10 gallons of it today to play with.  It is pretty wet, and mostly clay.  So, we will add dray sand to make up for it.  But it is gorgeous stuff.

It makes me feel better that there are people who are actually more phobic of modern materials than I am.

However, I still see no reason to extract huge amounts of clay from the environment if I have two semi truckloads of this each day at my fingertips.  let's not be so exclusive that we end up creating more destruction.  What if every person in America suddenly wanted to build a cob home?  Where would we get that amount of clay without creating more ecological destruction?  I know that would never happen, but if everyone thought that way, it would be no better.  I believe the biggest revolutionary ideas are how to use what we have in excess, at hand.  Does anyone believe that 6 billion people can live completely naturally on this planet?

Besides--NO SIFTING!!!

I can't wait to see what white clay looks like in cob, I have only seen and worked with red cob.