[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 50

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 14:44:14 CDT 2008

Hi Mitch,
   Couple of thoughts on your post.  Using straw is not a problem in subtropical climates for a couple of reasons.  Any good cob fiber has a high tensile strength and low nitrogen, what critters and microbes often consume.  When straw is an available local resource it fits these criteria well as it is just the cellulose fibers of the stalk that supports the seed heads of grain crops.  Cellulose is not attractive to most bugs and microbes.  Further, the straw is coated and encased in clay and sand which makes it hard to get to and moderates the humidity so that as long as the cob stays dry the clay keeps the moisture content  quite low, so that mold/mildew is not a problem.  Other fibers may be better choices based on availability but all should be low nitrogen and high cellulose with high tensile strength.
     My experience with rototiller cob has not been positive.  The rototiller did not do a sufficient job grinding the clay particles in the soil apart to release them to make good bonds and strong cob.  As a result a greater amount of clay soil needed to be added which increased the shrinkage and cracking.  Another drawback was that the tiller chopped the straw fibers to quite short lengths, which is undesirable, as the longer the straw fiber the better the knitting together of cob.

- Bernhard

____________________________________bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com

Natural building instruction and consultation

Message: 5