[Cob] Rototiller

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Wed May 14 21:02:24 CDT 2008

I have mixed many tons or cob with a tiller.  When I built a cob wall
in my house I mixed and moved 8 tons in eight days with one or two
assistants, but these were not consecutive days. Mixing with a tiller
requires that you make cob that is a little wet, so I mixed and
placed a ton then let the wall dry or set for a couple of days, Then
I mixed and placed another ton and let it set. One time I had to let
the wall set for seven days before I could continue building, but
this is a small price to pay for being able to mix up 2000 pounds of
cob in one hour with just two people.
	The technique that I used was place the sand and clay on a slab
create a shallow well in the center filled with water, then dive into
it with the tiller. One person mixed and spread the mix while the
other person piled up the clay using a sand shovel to scrape the mix
off the slab. In short order I had a mix of heavy wet slop to which I
added chopped straw.
	Note: I use a cheap five horse power front tine tiller.  I can crash
the tiller into a pile of dirt and pull it apart as I move around the
pile while my assistant recreates the pile with a shovel so I can
tear it apart again.
	The straw was coarsely chopped by laying flakes out next to a wall
and running a lawn mower over the flakes to throw the flakes against
the wall. Note: Wear an N-95 or better dust mask and eye protection
when you do this. The chopping is to keep the straw from winding its
self up on the tines of the tiller.
	The straw thickened and dried up the wet clay enough so I could
stack it well over a foot with out slumping. I picked up the cob and
moved it into a wheelbarrow using the shovel and made cobs of sort
when I removed it from the wheelbarrow to the wall. If you should
make a batch that is too wet let it set a day and then move it to the
wall when it has dried to the right consistency.
	I have done the same thing using the tiller to both mine and mix
clay at the same time only using a dirt fork and steel toed shoes
instead of a sand shovel to move the mix from the ground to a
wheelbarrow. (I spear the mix on the ground with the dirt fork and
then use the steel toe of the shoe as a pivot point to pry the thick
mix out of the pit.)
	I am an old man and if I can mix and move 2000 pounds in one day you
young folks should be able to double or triple that.
Ed