[Cob] Countertop Ideas

James from House Alive james at housealive.org
Thu May 15 12:23:25 CDT 2008

When you say "moist," do you mean it hasn't dried fully?  Or is it still
oily from an oil coat?  What kind of oil did you use?  If it was a
non-hardening oil (like raw linseed oil or vegetable-based oil), it could
take weeks and weeks to dry.  If it's still wet from water, then let it dry
fully before doing any sealing.

You could try a wax, like floor wax or bees wax.  I would test it on a small
section before coating the whole thing.  If that isn't satisfactory, try a
clear wood sealant (i.e. Thompsons water seal).  I know I'm going to catch
hell for that suggestion, but it works!

Good luck,
James