[Cob] Countertop Ideas

Stephen Karrington sales at diamondcard.us
Thu May 15 13:24:34 CDT 2008

> The polishing is a good idea... use a smooth stone, or cut a piece
> of plastic out of a container and start rubbing.  You'll catch on
> pretty quickly to how to do it... too much pressure moves the
> material, too little and you don't get a polish.  It's a lot of
> elbow grease.  I've wondered at using a grinder with a speed control
> (go slow!) and a soft wheel on it.

I was thinking about one of those car buffing machines. That might do
the trick.

> You're in a tough spot if ALL the material has veg oil through it.
> It likely will never dry completely.

That's the problem! Its been months already.

> You might be able to impregnate it with a drying oil like boiled
> linseed mixed with turpentine.  But beware, most 'boiled' linseed
> oil just has lead, mercury and other heavy metal drying agents in
> it... but it works.

I have the natural linseed oil. What % of linseed oil to turpentine
should I use? Can I use 100% turpentine and hope it dries it up?

> Usually by a week it's quite dry and hard.  You
> can buy organic boiled linseed oil that doesn't have junk in it... but it's horribly expensive.

I have plenty of containers of natural linseed oil. I don't think its
boiled. Looks raw to me. Smells good too. I could try a combination of linseed and
turpentine and hope for the best.

> Those are my only thoughts at this time.  I wish I had better news, it's a beautiful counter.
It looks real good. If only it was usable :) I was thinking about
putting some ceramic tiles in the worker area of the counter top to
cover it. Someone suggested before using a blow dryer or I think blow
torch to it. But the torch might burn it and turn it black.

Thanks.