[Cob] Countertop Ideas

rodger at inbox.com rodger at inbox.com
Thu May 15 13:17:08 CDT 2008

The polishing is a good idea... use a smooth stone, or cut a piece of plastic out of a container and start rubbing.  You'll catch on pretty quickly to how to do it... too much pressure moves the material, too little and you don't get a polish.  It's a lot of elbow grease.  I've wondered at using a grinder with a speed control (go slow!) and a soft wheel on it.

You're in a tough spot if ALL the material has veg oil through it.  It likely will never dry completely.
You might be able to impregnate it with a drying oil like boiled linseed mixed with turpentine.  But beware, most 'boiled' linseed oil just has lead, mercury and other heavy metal drying agents in it... but it works.  Usually by a week it's quite dry and hard.  You can buy organic boiled linseed oil that doesn't have junk in it... but it's horribly expensive.

Those are my only thoughts at this time.  I wish I had better news, it's a beautiful counter.

Rodger