[Cob] Countertop Ideas

Stephen Karrington sales at diamondcard.us
Thu May 15 12:03:47 CDT 2008

> If you treat it like it's an earthen floor, you might get a
> fabulous finish.  An actually drying oil like Linseed or Tung, given
> adequate time to cure, then beeswax does the trick.  It's a tricky
> process though, and lots of things to know about oils... so do your research.

I think they used vegetable oil, food color and I think soft pottery
clay in this counter top mix. Which is why it never has dried over
many months. I tried to smooth it down with a rounded rock and that actually
has made it glossy in some areas after many months too :)

I do have linseed oil and beeswax. I tried applying that to some
rough walls and it never dried quickly either. Some parts are still
looking greasy months later.

Are you saying to boil linseed oil and apply it over this surface and
hope it dries?

Another issue is this surface is very soft. If you knock into it
with a pointy instrument you will gouge it. Any heavy item will
also dent it. This would be a problem in the work area where a
heavy cafe machine is going, a blender, heavy duty juicer, etc.

Right now if you walk around the corner and bump into it red color
gets on your clothing :)

Thanks.