[Cob] New Member Introduction

Predrag Cvetkovic predragcv at ptt.yu
Thu May 29 03:51:28 CDT 2008

As a new member, you probably didn't notice your email has been sent just to
me personally, not to the group. That happens almost to everyone new here.
One should use: "Reply to all", instead of just "Reply to Sender" if wants
to send to the group. Never mind, but I am sending this to the group,
together with your answer to me.

We will use lime stones for the foundation because it is not complicated to
get here. We could collect some other stones, that maybe could be more
beautiful but would be more complicated, would take more time and more
difficult to work with. I think as we are beginners, lime stone is more then
excellent.
I am not sure what mortar used in your favorite cottage foundation, only
lime or with a bit portland cement?
Predrag

Cary wrote:

>I am thinking of a rubble trench filled with large gravel and a stone
plinth joined by lime mortar as well. I have no native stone on the site, so
everything will have to be brought on site.

>The earth bermed rear section of the cottage will probably be dry stacked,
surface bonded concrete blocks, but I'm unsure if I should extend the stone
plinth atop this berm or extend the concrete blocks up as the plinth on that
portion. I would very much prefer (asthetically) the look of a stone plinth
all around.

Cary

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Predrag Cvetkovic <predragcv at ptt.yu> wrote:

Cary wrote:
> My favorite cob cottage, and a good model for what I'd like to achieve is
> the one pictured at the top of the cobworks Mayne Island gallery -
> http://www.cobworks.com/maynegallery.htm .

Welcome Cary!
It is really a wonderful cottage and I wish you to achieve your idea.
Could I ask you about the foundation of the future house. If stone, what
kind of mortar you would use?
For my small project, I think about a stone foundation with lime mortar.
Kind regards
Predrag, Serbia