[Cob] building with shipping containers, straw bales, and cob

Marilyn Pratt marilyn.pratt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 26 17:33:41 CDT 2008

I'll add this thought to the mix...  not from experience, but something
from a class I just took from Cob Cottage Company.

One of the
instructors has had to deconstruct a wall that had a wooden deadman in
it.  The deadman was originally decorated with lots of bent nails, to
hold it in place and help give it tooth so it would not move inside the
cob wall.

When after a year or so he had to go back into that section
of the wall, all the nails had rusted completely away except the parts embedded in the wood.  No trace of nails outside the wood.

Remember
cob needs to breathe.  It passes moisture while doing so.  I'm guessing
trying to combine natural materials with the containers might not work
well in the long run.

But I'm just a beginner...