[Cob] building with shipping containers, straw bales, and cob

Tim Nam tkn317071 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 22:03:21 CDT 2008

I don't think this is off topic, it just seems like more trouble than its worth. Then again, I don't own a plasma cutter or an oxy-acetylene torch for that matter, nor do I have access to a welder, though I have done quite a bit of welding on previous jobs and rather enjoy it. If a container landed in my yard and I had all these tools I'd probably cut it up and use parts for structural post and beams or perhaps the roof. If two containers landed in my yard, I might try to cut out half of two sides (one side on each container) to create a "U" shaped structure or if I had good slope and drainage and could find a good waterproof coating, bury them to make a basement. (That'd give a healthy amount of building soil!)

The idea of putting a cob veneer on  the walls of a container seems kind of a waste. You'd be mixing all that cob purely for aesthetics, IOW, it wouldn't be doing anything structurally. But that same amount of cob without the container might be enough to actually be a structural (curved) wall, it would seem...you know what I mean?  I guess if that's okay with you, then who am I to discourage you? Or were you thinking more of a plaster on the steel?

At any rate, best of luck and keep us up to date on how it goes.

Tim Kijoo Nam
Corvallis, OR
tkn317071 at yahoo.com
http://timsbloggo.blogspot.com/
"We are discussing no small matter, but how we ought to live." -Socrates