[Cob] cob w/adobe and other materials

Kindra Welch kindra at claysandstraw.com
Thu Jul 3 19:57:24 CDT 2008

My observation as to why cob vs adobe block is that adobe block generally is
pure native soil while cob mixtures add sand to control shrinkage.  When you
do not have the option of adding sand to native clay soil, you have to
pre-shrink the mud (make it into blocks and dry it in the sun) before
putting it in the wall.

With that understanding you can mix adobe and cob if you keep in mind that
the adobe is not going to shrink with the cob: 1. lay it slowly and let cob
dry fully before moving forward 2. make a very sandy cob mix 3.make a zigzag
seam instead of a straight line.  Here is a photo of an example of a
cob-adobe corner under construction, finish plastered now - not a crack in
three years.  For our mud mortar we used local clay and added sand to stop
cracks.
http://www.claysandstraw.com/projects/mtncttge/timeline/2005/uptoOct10/cobad
obeseam.jpg

Ovens have been built with cob and/or adobe for centuries. I know several
ovens that have cracked from thermal expansion (cracks open when fired and
close when cold), but baking does not seem affected by cracks. Cement not
necessary, rain protection important.  I would especially not recommend
cement on a first oven... you'll learn alot with your first oven and
immediately have ideas how to make it better. If you use cement you are
STUCK, with mud after a couple years just recycle the old oven into a better
one informed by everything you learned the first time around.

Mixing cob with non-shrinking materials is always do-able, you just have to
anticipate the shrinkage.

Kindra