[Cob] cob/straw bale sandwich wall

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Mon Jul 21 04:05:28 CDT 2008

Hi group,

As you may recall, we have built a small cob cabin (Snail Cabin) here in
northern Spain and we are now starting work on a larger building.

We are looking at using a load-bearing hybrid straw-bale/cob wall
consisting of straw bales laid on edge (35cm thick) with cob either side
(10cm interior and 5cm exterior). We plan to pour a concrete bond beam
at first floor and roof level of this two storey, 100m2 per floor, house
and study centre.

Does anyone on the group have experience with this "sandwich" type of
wall construction?

Is it better to put up the straw bale wall first, put in the bond beam
and roof/floor beams, and then do the cob? The advantage of getting the
roof on quickly is obvious, but then I'm concerned that the straw bales
alone won't be strong enough to hold the roof.

If the cob and straw bale go up together in parallel,  the bales will be
exposed to the weather for a lot longer (at least, the top of the straw
bale wall will be) and we get rain regularly here, even in summer.

In this case, on the other hand, we need to think about what will happen
to the dry cob and straw bales when the load of the (green) roof and
soil are applied - since dry cob is virtually incompressible it will be
taking the whole load of the roof on its own, without the straw bales
helping.

A compromise would be to build one storey of straw bale, pour the
concrete bond beam, then apply the cob up to that height, relying on the
weather protection offered by the concrete, and also the preloading that
the concrete (+possibly roof/floor beams) provide.

Any other guidance would be most welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Robert
www.lesspress.com