[Cob] cob/straw bale sandwich wall

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Jul 21 12:58:21 CDT 2008

Robert: I have done it both ways. For a really small structure I
prefer to put up the straw bale wall first and then build cob up
against it. Normally I would just put a thick earth plaster on the
outside and put a load bearing 8 inches of cob on the inside to act
as heat storage, support and stabilizing wall.  I have found that
when placing really wet cob up against a straw bale wall the cob
tends to fall away from the wall during the drying process so I
recommend that if you are doing wet cob, place dead man anchors
between the straw bale and cob to hold the cob in place.
I have pictures if you are interested and if you have high speed
internet.

Ed