[Cob] cob oven cracks

Doug Shaker doug at theshakers.org
Tue Jul 22 18:15:16 CDT 2008

Monica-

I have no building experience with cob, so take what I say with a
grain of salt.  From what I have read, you need sand to prevent
cracking, but your earth is so silty that it can only stand a small
percentage of sand before it stops adhering.  It seems to me that
the thing to do would be to add pure clay and, with the additional
adhesion, add more sand.  You can get pure clay at most building
supply stores, sold as "fireclay", for something like $6 for 50 pounds.
One bag would be enough for at least one oven.

Anyone with more experience than I (read any experience at all), feel
free to correct me.

-Doug "Anonymous" Shaker