[Cob] cob oven cracks

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Jul 23 02:30:26 CDT 2008

To quote Kiko Denzer (who has been building ovens and teaching oven
building for over a decade if my memory is correct):

   "Some cracking is inevitable.  Most will not bea cause for concern.  All
   clays shrink as they dry; some more, some less.  Adding sand to your mix
   can minimize this effect . . ."

The degree of cracking if severe may be a cause for concern, but I have
never seen, built, or heard of an oven that didn't crack.  Keep in mind
that the inner shell of the oven is not significantly structural unlike
the walls to a house.  If you are unsure about any details of building an
earthen oven, I highly recommend Kiko Denzer's book "Build Your Own Earth
Oven".  It can be ordered directly from the author's web site at:

    http://www.handprintpress.com/

In the interest of full disclosure, yes he is a friend of mine, and no I
don't get anything for plugging his book.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -