[Cob] double pane windows

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Tue Aug 12 19:32:32 CDT 2008

Damon: Cob will shrink two ways. First it will shrink vertically and
horizontally. Thus your opening will actually get smaller. To allow
for this I put two inches of foam around a 2 foot by three foot
panel. I had a mix rich in sand so there was only about 4 inches of
shrinkage for the entire 10 foot wall height. You may have more or
less shrinkage depending on the amount of sand and straw relative to
clay.
	Second it shrinks from outside to inside. This is because the
outside dries faster than the inside. So the wall will curl outwardly
(just a little) and then straighten up. If you have an arch shaped
piece of glass and you are building an arch around it you can build
the arch so that only a tiny bit of cob overlaps the window on one
side. Thus as the wall curves the tiny cob holding bits will give
way. But, If you are doing a double insulated rectangular piece of
glass and you are building an arch around this glass the upper edges
of the rectangle are going to be deeply imbedded. This means that the
padding must extend around the top and sides and at least one of the
faces of the glass.
	I did not protect the faces of the glass and the outer pane broke. I
now have a single pane window despite vast effort.
	I now have two options first: make a newspaper or cardboard template
of the window, and using the template cut a second pane of glass,
then fit the second pane of glass over the first pane of glass.
	It will not be sealed and it will have no desiccant between the
panes so I may have to make it removable so I can clean it.
	The second option: I will just have a single pane window. I have not
had a big condensation problem so the second option seems good for now.
	Regarding the word foam, that is any compressible material foam or
rubber that can take an initial shape in supporting the cob off the
glass and then crush or deform to let the wall move so your glass
won't have to. The stuff on the top and bottom of your glass should
not be too soft because it must support the initial weight of the mud
but still crush when the wall shrinks.
	The foam on the front and/or back of the glass does not support any
weight, but it should deform easily because it does not take much
force on the front and back of your glass to cause a break.
I hope you have better luck than I had. Let us know if it works.
Ed